Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Product Reviews From Spring Fling

Inevitably, while at Spring Fling, I spent more money than I had any business doing. Product was plentiful for the picking, and I wish I could have bought more. I wound up with three CDs.

Aaron Wilburn - A Miracle In Every Pew. For some reason, I like comics who sing. Aaron Wilburn is also a great songwriter. I looked over the songs that are on this album, and there are some many people may not realize he wrote, like "Four Days Late" (Karen Peck and New River hit) and "I've Got You Covered" (also done by Jonathan Martin). This album's terrific...his singing is pleasant and appealing, the arrangements are nice and there many other fine songs you might not have heard. Quite different from "Puttin' On The Dog", but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Michael Booth (self-titled). - I picked this album because I was particularly impressed with a song Michael did at Spring Fling that was written by Babbie Mason, "Simply I Love You". It has a nice uptempo jazz feel and he did a great job. Michael is a strong vocalist and he is easily comfortable with a number of styles, with songs ranging from contemporary Christian pop to better known worship tunes.

What's interesting here is he covers two songs with the title of "Jesus Saves", one written by Stephen Hill and Daryl Williams and the other by Roger and Debbie Bennett. I knew there were two of that title out there and now I know which one is which.

Jim and Melissa Brady - Classic Love Songs. Let's face it, there's often no better vehicle for great singers to show their vocal flair than to take on the classic old standard pop songs. Jim and Melissa are certainly no exception...they are both very fine singers who shine both as a duo and solo. They understand the songs and treat them with great respect in their interpretations of classics like "For Sentimental Reasons", "When I Fall In Love", "Orange Colored Sky" and many others.

(Mark, if you're out there, a hint for you: Jim and Melissa, Reggie and Ladye Love Smith and even Stan Whitmire on piano have done classic pop standard albums. It would be a thrill to hear you wrap your amazing voice around some of these songs. We know you love these songs. Give it some thought.)

I felt sooo bad about not getting Ronnie Booth's album--I certainly don't want to slight him as I'm lifting up the other two Booth Brothers' solo efforts. But, I simply ran short of money. I'll catch up with his CD at a later time, as I said I am sure I'll be seeing the Brothers again in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy, you do a great job on these blogs! Thanks for doing it so that the rest of us can get a glimpse into what we missed out on! Continued blessings!