Sunday, April 20, 2008

Day 3 Sunday Part 2: Comedy Blast


What happens sometimes in Senior Trips is that the events end up being something else entirely than what they were titled. In other words, the "comedy blast" was more than comedy--there were some lovely musical moments, too.

It all kicked off with Mark singing "Be The Miracle" followed by a piano solo by Stan Whitmire. The fun began with Barbara Fairchild telling a story about visting some friends in Arizona and trying to get some information from a fellow at an information booth, who told them "I don't give information." Barbara also sang her "Road Rage" song which she first showed us at a previous Senior Trip.

Music and comedy continued to mix as Mark did his TV themes medley. The reason the Booth Brothers didn't do "Ask the Blind Man" in their concert set was because they saved it for here, along with one of their other radio hits, "Testify". Mark and "Mama" Bev Lowry did "I Thirst", Brenda Ruppe and the sisters brought the house down with "I'm Gonna Make It".

One amazing story: someone put a video featuring Aaron Wilburn doing his song "If My Nose Was Running Money, I'd Blow It All On You" on YouTube. Through that video, someone found the video for "Four Days Late"...and found the Lord through that song.

The main comic sets came from Chonda Pierce and Aaron Wilburn. Chonda has been dealing with depression and in her masterful way managed to find great humor in the situation and mix it with her challenging journey. Aaron Wilburn had the audience in stitches as he covered topics like weight loss, Krispy Kreme, dogs and Disneyworld, among other things.

There was more music from Mark, Jim and Melissa Brady, Aaron and LordSong before a final prayer to send us home.

*****
I learned a few lessons this weekend. God has no standards. God can use any gift and any talent for His glory...one is not more important than the other. God doesn't play favorites and I am so glad He loves us all equally.

I want to thank everyone for reading this blog (you too, Mark) and for all the nice comments from those who couldn't be there. You are the reason I do this. In fact, I wasn't supposed to be here this weekend because I couldn't afford to be. But, someone wanted to see this blog continue and made it possible for me to come. I'm grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you and bless you Wendy for all the work you have put into this blog and keeping those, like me, informed of all the fun had by all. You had really great pictures to look at too! Have a great summer and again thanks!

Corinne said...

Thanks for keeping us updated all weekend long Wendy, I know that God wanted you to be there, and I'm sure you know that too! Thanks again!