Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pre-Spring Fling: Retirement of the Red Hat

A month or so ago, three of us women were sitting around a breakfast table. The conversation extended well into the afternoon. One of the topics that came around was beauty. One said she didn't think she was pretty (which isn't true at all!). I mused, "I think I could use a makeover". "We can do that", the third woman said. Well what the heck, I was game. It being that I lost 15 pounds recently, I was at least that step ahead.

We looked through the Internet and found me a short pixie cut. I who always sternly warned hair stylists never to cut my bangs really short was going radical with this one. I was almost persuaded to have highlights put in, but in the end decided to stay with my salt and pepper "nature's highlights". Through the help of the stiffest gel in town and hair spray, two things I swore I'd never use, I had some sassy spikes in my hair. With some trial and error, we found some makeup shades that worked. I also had my unruly eyebrows shaped...dang near killed me, though. After it was all done, my look started getting rave reviews. Many said it took 5 to 10 years off me, which was cool because I've always looked younger than I am in the first place. Maybe I was finally "all that". Now all I needed was some attitude to go with the look, perhaps.

So what's this all have to do with Spring Fling? It means that the red hat which had been my trademark for all of the previous "Senior Trips" is being retired. It's an irrelevant gag now, anyway, since it's not an over 50 event anymore and all ages can attend. This hair takes too much work now to be squished under a hat. My hair and makeup stylists wouldn't be pleased.



The question is: Will Mark Lowry recognize Wendy V? For that matter, will anyone who hasn't seen me in awhile? Stay tuned. It's gonna be an interesting weekend.

1 comment:

teresa said...

Hey Wendy, I really like this blog tipping off the Spring Fling. Grejxlxiiat writing job. Teresa