Monday, December 10, 2007

Day 1: Mark Lowry Evening Concert


Getting to this year's Nashville Senior Trip was a breeze. No flight delays or flying weather to worry about. Quite the advantage to actually live in Nashville for this event. Even the weather didn't rain on my drive as predicted (and folks, the temperature was in the 60s. Gotta love it). Plus, no big nasty traffic driving here (then again, I avoided rush hour). It was way too easy. I mean, even my room was ready when I arrived.

I'm very lucky to have, within the space of one week, heard in concert two of the greatest male vocalists in this business, in my opinion: Michael McDonald last week and Mark Lowry this evening. I must make note here once again that "Untitled Hymn", particularly performed live, is perhaps one of the best showcases for Mark's style, passion and the beauty of his voice that he's ever had.

This evening was the kickoff concert, opened up by a choir which came recommended by the Perrys, from College Heights Baptist Church in Gallatin. LordSong followed with an acapella version of "Our Father", then out came Mark, doing "Be the Miracle", "Heaven Medley" and "In the Garden" from his hymns CD. On the latter song, he said he "got to be like Frank Sinatra, but alive". I dare say that Mr. Sinatra would well approve of his vocal abilities. Again I note--there's no studio sweetening necessary here. Stan Whitmire was featured on "Winter Wonderland"--his piano stylings fit the atmosphere quite well.

Much of the concert was what you'd expect from Mark--the motorcycle accident report, Miss Barth, TV themes medley, good natured tweaking of the denominations (particularly Baptists and Pentecostals) storytelling rabbit trails ranging from talking to oneself, not finding your hotel room at Gaylord Opryland and Pentecostal hairstyles of the 60s to some great singing by Mark and Lordsong. No matter how often the stories are told, the audience just loves it.

Other quick highlights:
- The Perrys once again showed why they've become a Senior Trip favorite, getting the crowd encouraged and energized. Tracy Stuffle (who also added bass to a couple of quartet songs with Mark, Stan and LordSong members)is a great emcee and Libbi, ever the trouper, sang through a case of pneumonia.
- Wedding anniversaries from one year to 59 and those serving in the armed forces were recognized.
- Mark singing parts of songs from one of Stan Whitmire's contemporary pop piano albums. I didn't think Mark knew the song "Get Here". Mark, I'm telling you and I've told you for years...you need to make an album like that. And put "Get Here" on it. That will sound amazing.
- Young Perrys pianist Matthew Holt with a touching tribute to Anthony Burger, which he played at Anthony's induction into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, earning him a standing ovation.

Here's hoping Mark found his room. I've found mine so I'm turning in. More tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wendy!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time there. Thank you so much for the report. I must say, you are quick! I was hoping to make it down there, but there's too much stuff going on here in my little world. If you see Mark, tell him that Andrea from East Freedom, Pa says hello! I wonder if he'll remember me or not LOL

I'll check back on here for day 2 of the trip :)

God Bless!
Luv Ya,
Andrea